FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award flight miles requirement change/the same for flights with different prices.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:18 am
dzflyer

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by kaylad24
Hey, hoping you guys can help me figure something out. Probably simple, but I'm new to Delta Skymiles and it's confusing me a little.

I've been tracking August flights from BNA to RSW using Google flights, and just discovered I could transfer my Amex points to Delta and use those to pay for it. Immediately after transferring last week, one of the flights I'm tracking showed a cash price of $342. When I searched for the same flight on Delta.com in miles, it showed a requirement of 19k. I thought that was pretty good, but unfortunately, didn't book it, since that flight usually dips down to $317 on Google flights every 3 weeks or so, I figured I'd wait and get it for even less miles when it dropped.

Well, that seems to not be the case, as the same flight today is again $342 cash price, but 29k in miles. Yesterday, it was 24k (same $342 cash price). Additionally, I'm also tracking another flight whose cash price today is $282, but also 29k in miles.

Can someone explain the miles increase, although the cash price has not changed? Did I come across some type of miles sales last week and didn't realize it? And why are the two flights today with different cash prices cost the same amount in miles? Lastly, should I wait it out and hope it dips again? Flights not til August, so I have time.

Thanks!
Because Delta RM can and they will. Cost is always changing. Its like playing the stock market in the sky.