FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:45 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rasheed
All passengers (except Basic Economy passengers) should still be able to check as much as they want, regardless of size, at the gate counter for free (so long as they were able to get it past security). This policy should apply even if the flight is not full. I have seen no note to indicate otherwise. I recommend doing it proactively rather than being 'caught' during boarding.

I would expect Basic Economy customers will be charged at the gate to do any type of gate check.

This link supports my notes: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-fees.jsp (Gate service fee is listed).

Rasheed
I would agree that only those with a basic fare should be charged the additional service fee

I do not see anything to suggest that there is a waiver of baggage fees for those on other fares applicable should they get an bag that is over the size limit for a carry on piece to the gate; I cannot see anything that would suggest a waiver of $25 ( or higher ) checked bag fee

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 7, 2017 at 3:51 pm