FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:29 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by woolfson
It was bound to happen. BUSTED.

I got busted by the American Airlines gate agent this evening in San Francisco trying to skip-leg to Los Angeles on a SFO --> LAX --> LAS flight. (Basically, buying a ticket to a destination that you have no intention upon going to - so that you can get off at the connection point and achieve a much lower price on an otherwise unaffordable flight.)

So. A delayed flight.

I said "but I'm meeting up with a friend in L.A."

The gate agent said "Hey, I know what you're doing, you have no intention on going to Las Vegas. You're not allowed to do that. I'm going to need to put you on a different flight to get you to Vegas since your flight's delayed!"

So I had to ditch the flight and drive to LA and basically forfeit the ticket. And she also seemed to write some choice things into the PNR when she took me off the flight.

I'm writing this because - if you do skip leg - be prepared for the occasional epic fail. And it was sort of a hilariously humbling experience.
Was the delay sufficient to qualify for a refund of the fare?