FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 15 Day Italy Iitinerary between Rome, Florence and Venice
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:35 pm
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chongl
I was in Venice for 2 days and I felt one full day was enough for me. Going in I thought I needed 3-4 days, but I ended up being glad we were leaving
Well, a city like Venice, with it's upfront, in-your-face tourist veneer and it's significant charms "hidden" away (not really hidden, but requiring some effort to discover), is maybe a self-limiting experience. People who aren't going to get it, just don't stay long enough to change their view.
If you can't get past the jimcrack on the Riva degli Schiavoni, if you don't give yourself enough time to go beyond the San Marco/Rialto area, if you find getting lost in mysterious alleyways and hearing footsteps in the dark frightening rather than intriguing, maybe this place just isn't for you.
I'll admit that (at least to me), Venice is an interactive experience that is highly dependent on what you bring to augment what the city offers. This is more or less true of every place, but Venice is possibly the most extreme example.