FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:26 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
26. It’s a sweltering afternoon in 1966 and you’re savoring your second gin and tonic in Freetown, Sierra Leone when a cable arrives from company headquarters requesting your assistance with a “small problem” up in London. Time is of the essence, Sir! Please get here as soon as possible! As luck would have it, the single weekly nonstop flight between FNA and LGW departs tomorrow at 1000. As luck would further have it, the flight is sold out in Economy Class but wait! There’s a single First Class seat available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.

Kick at this again but I will admit to having researched it. Initially thought it could have been a 5th freedom by a deep southern Africa (i.e., perhaps South African Airways from CPT) or south American airline but none had to use LGW (no problem with getting LHR slots in that era). Since it probably wasn't a British airline, it had to be the national carrier and so airline must have been the spawn of WAAC, Sierra Leone Airways. Surprising because it didn't have the equipment to fly the route as specified (or it seems, the country's capability to operate an airline). Research turns up that the service was operated by British United Airways on behalf of Sierra Leone Airways using a Bristol Britannia until at least 1963.

Well, if one must resort to research, it appears you've done a great job and as such, your answer is spot on. I would love to have flown aboard that Britannia in First Class! Alas - I was born a few years too late...

21. It’s 1962. Identify the three airlines that served Bermuda with Bristol Britannias.

Looking at who operated the Britannia, two would have been British Eagle and Cubana. Cubana sold a Britannia to CSA which used it for HAV flights so let's go with CSA as the 3rd?

My schedule is showing that CSA operated its Brits over a different route between Havana and Prague.

Cunard Eagle and Cubana are correct however. So then, we're looking for just one more...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 6, 2017 at 12:32 pm