FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Query about being refused to fly
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:40 pm
aa70274

Originally Posted by aa70274
Please excuse my naivety - this thread freaked me out a bit as I have very little international travel experience. My family of 4 (US citizens) are booked on DL award tickets from the US to AMS-FCO-MLA. Because the final leg required an overnight stay that I didn't really want, I recently booked Air Malta AMS-MLA with cash, intending to just use that flight and not board the AMS-FCO (on Alitalia). I'm assuming I won't have any issues like the OP here, but wanted to make sure.

TIA
Originally Posted by Andy33
You shouldn't have visa issues, because AMS, FCO and MLA are all in the Schengen Area, and US citizens don't require a visa to enter the Schengen Area as tourists. The OP's problem was related to travelling between two places in the Schengen area via somewhere outside it, and so requiring a multiple entry visa.

However if your tickets back to the USA are on the same booking as the AMS-FCO and FCO-MLA flights you propose not to catch, you can have big problems of a different sort. Unless you get advance agreement from the airlines concerned, if you miss any of the sectors on a flight booking, all subsequent sectors are automatically cancelled.
I wasn't sure where to ask this - hopefully someone sees it and can help.

This trip is now around the corner. My family and I will be arriving AMS from the US on DL. We do have connecting award tickets AMS-FCO-MLA on Alitalia, but we will not be using them as I have purchased non-stop AMS-MLA on Air Malta. I recently read that Ryanair requires non-EU passport holders to check in at the ticket counter outside security even if they're not checking any luggage. My question is: Do we have to be worried about being denied boarding at the gate by Air Malta? Should we just plan on the hassle of exiting security to check in at the Air Malta ticket counter and going through security again?