FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AZ to end AF/KL partnership from january 2017
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:04 am
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by pascalgr
I booked a return flight at spring between CDG-LIN; the CDG-LIN operated by AF and return operated by AZ;
I was advised of cancellation of my outbound flight and I was able to be rebooked on a flight 2 hours earlier to Linate as well ; At that time I ask if my return flight would be in trouble… they told me no because booking was done on a AZ operated flight; Few weeks later I notice that my return flight was also cancelled: after checking on AZ Website I find out it was because of the code share agreement between AF and AZ that has stopped, as the flight was still operating under AZ metal ; AF rebooks me but from MXP this time which doesn’t suits me at all; So I ring the Plat line and I ask the lady to rebook me on the only AF flight out of LIN which was 2 hours later than my original booking; After asking a supervisor she comes back to me and said it is only possible if you accept to pay the fare difference… I was badly surprised by this answer as flight is AF marketed, with an AF code flight number and it appears cancelled on my booking; The lady on the phone explains me that due to the ‘divorce’ between AF and AZ they receive instruction to rebook passenger from MXP and people willing to flight from Linate has to pay fare difference… I answered her it is unacceptable as the divorce is not my problem and they need to handle the consequence of it, as they sell the ticket; So she goes back to a supervisor who finally accepts to make the change without cost, as a commercial gesture; I check after on AF website and notice that the flight they rebook me initially from MPL was more expensive than the one from Linate they finished to accept to rebook me on...

Conclusion :
a) not sure if the lady didn’t make an error by understanding I wanted to be rebooked under Alitalia flightnumber on my original departure time although I gave her clearly my will to go on the latest AF flight from Linate, or if it is a new ‘rule’; I find out a post from Goldorak from January 16, stating that :
For already issued tickets :
- already issued tickets remain valid
- changes on onward flight coupon (unused ticket) will be re-emitted applying the new fare rules and will not allow a combination with an AZ fare
- changes of all other flight coupons will be re-calculated taking into account the originally-paid fare wich still allows combinability with AZ
I think that as my first coupon outbound was changed due to the flight canceled by AF I fall in the red highlighted category;
b) The bookings done under AF flight number but operated by Alitalia are now cancelled and AF doesn’t rebook under Alitalia flight number but rebook from MXP; Some passengers will have an unpleasant surprise when the flight from Linate is full (with on A318, it will come fast);
c) Plat line is useful I cannot imagine if I have to handle it through standard call center or worse if I book through an expedia or similar third party agent;
Indeed a very unfortunate situation. And I agree with you that this is completely crazy and I'm glad they sorted this out at no cost for you. The agent you spoke to did not make any mistake as this corresponds to the instructions given to sales/travel agents. I am quoting herebelow some more detailed instructions AF issued. The 2nd bullet point in case #1 is the one relevant to your case. Basically, for pax having a cancelled flight to/from LIN can be rebooked for free on LIN only if the booked travel fare is still available. But for MXP, it's free whatever the situation.

1/ Report involontaire (sans frais) sur LIN ou sur autre vol AF : 

- dans la même classe de réservation, même cabine de transport
- si classe / cabine non disponible : report dans une classe / cabine supérieure avec perception de la différence tarifaire 

2/ Rerouting involontaire (sans frais de modification) sur MXP dans un délai de 30 jours : 

- dans la même classe de réservation, même cabine de transport
- si classe / cabine non disponible : report dans une classe / cabine supérieure sans percevoir la différence tarifaire 

3/ Les clients sur les vols Nord-Atlantique pourront être reportés sur les vols AF marketing/DL operating ou DL MXP/JFK et MXP/ATL dans la même cabine.