FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FCO to Rome transportation options
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:58 pm
iapetus
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Perche
Here is the information from the Rome Comune. You want to scroll to the 2nd page which is the fare rules english, and the 4th page, which is a map displaying which areas are within the Aurelian Walls. Without knowing exactly where you were it cannot be said for certain. Via Margutta is near Piazza Popolo. That should be just within the wall. http://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resour...uglio_2012.pdf
OK, given that (the Italian worked just fine for me, thankyouverymuch, ), it appears that he was expecting €51.50, which would be €48 + €3.50 for the radiotaxi fee. (My hotel was definitely in the territorio comunale.) I have never been asked to pay this radiotaxi fee. That is totally new to me.

So, some obvious follow-up questions are:
  • How is a radiotaxi different from a regular one?
  • How can I know that I'm in a radiotaxi?
  • How do I avoid getting in radiotaxi, as opposed to a regular one? (I mean, I guess I could just walk to a stand?)

I suppose he just didn't want to haggle over €1.50. So should I ever run into this driver again, I will apologize profusely and not argue over the extra surcharge! Embarrassing, but live and learn ...