FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FCO to Rome transportation options
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:34 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by iapetus
And this is absolute, yes? That was my understanding. So please allow me to relay my anecdote.

Last Saturday the concierge at my hotel (over on via Margutta) called a cab for me to FCO. While en route I noticed that the meter was running, but I didn't think anything of it, as I "knew" that €48 was the rate. Period. So how shocked was I when, as I hopped out of the cab and handed the driver a €50 note, he balked and started mumbling about "radio taxi" and the meter and whatnot!!?! Secure in my convictions, I pointed at the sign on his (white) cab where it clearly indicates that the fare to FCO is €48. And I pointed out that we were at FCO. I left him with the note and walked away.

Question: was I right to be so sure about my belief that the price is €48 always? I really hate to think that I somehow screwed this driver over, but I think it's more likely that he was trying to take advantage of an ignorant American and make up for a little lost salary from the recent strike. A friend of mine in Rome suggested that I report the driver, but I definitely didn't get enough information to do that. Can anyone think of a reason why a higher fare might have been justified?
It is 48 euros from anywhere within the Aurelian Walls to FCO, and vice versa. First luggage piece is free, 1 euro for each after that. Same price for 1-4 passengers, an extra euro for a fifth passenger.

Here is the information from the Rome Comune. You want to scroll to the 2nd page which is the fare rules english, and the 4th page, which is a map displaying which areas are within the Aurelian Walls. Without knowing exactly where you were it cannot be said for certain. Via Margutta is near Piazza Popolo. That should be just within the wall. http://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resour...uglio_2012.pdf