FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:27 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
26. It’s a sweltering afternoon in 1966 and you’re savoring your second gin and tonic in Freetown, Sierra Leone when a cable arrives from company headquarters requesting your assistance with a “small problem” up in London. Time is of the essence, Sir! Please get here as soon as possible! As luck would have it, the single weekly nonstop flight between FNA and LGW departs tomorrow at 1000. As luck would further have it, the flight is sold out in Economy Class but wait! There’s a single First Class seat available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying aboard.

I imagine this must be the precursor of British Caledonian, British United Airways with a VC-10.

If I didn't know better, I'd be proposing the exact same answer, YVR. But no, although British United did operate from Freetown up to LGW, it was via a three stop routing utilizing a smaller aircraft. For the nonstop flight, we'll be looking for a different airline and aircraft. Please, guess again!

8. It’s the summer of 1984 and you need to fly from Honolulu to Taipei. There are no nonstops and only one airline offers a direct flight. Identify that airline, the single enroute stop and the equipment utilized.

China Airlines has been operating this route for a long time. I would guess with a 707 via HND.

You know, I was thinking that by 1984 China Airlines and its 747SPs were flying nonstop from SFO to TPE. However, per the 1983 OAG I see they were still flying classic 747s on a SFO-HNL-HND-TPE route. So, let's modify this question to say two airlines offered one-stop service between HNL and TPE, one of which was China Airlines. ^ Any thoughts on the other one?