FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:58 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I'm looking to do ORD/BOS/JFK-HKG-SYD/MEL-HKG-ORD/BOS/JFK in August/September/October. The tpac would be F and the Aus flight J. I feel like I'm being very flexible because I'm open to most dates in a 90 day period and many combinations of cities.

Even at this awkward time (6-8 months early) I'm finding good tpac availability both ways but the aus flights are nonexistant.

1) Are aus flights generally more difficult and should I expect more space to open up soonish (or at close-in)?

Yes. Very difficult because these are also very popular Asia Miles redemption.

2) If I book an aus flight in economy and space opens, can I then upgrade to J? Any fee associated with this?

Yes. No fee if you are lucky to find the seats 60 days before departure. Not sure if the departure clock is based on the first flight (I assume) or the actual flight. What AS does is to refund the whole award and then rebook it in business.

Inside the 60 days window any change is $125 per ticket.

3) Any other tips or things to know about HKG-SYD/MEL-HKG availability? I'm tried JAL, I've tried BA, I've tried Qantas search engines for awards, the closest availability I can find is November...
No tips. The HKG-Australia routes are extremely tough to get.

If you have UA miles you would be far better to spring up 30K / 40K to fly TG in J/F one way - as HKG-BKK-SYD. Availability is excellent (daily in J and almost daily in F) on both direction.

Between SYD and MEL, plenty of cheap paid options from both Qantas or Virgin. Sign up their newsletters so you would get sale alerts which are PLENTY.

If you only want to use CX to Australia - then downgrade the HKG-Australia segment but DONT expect you would be able to find J seat to go back to Biz. Personally I would go the UA route to fly on TG, especially in F.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 26, 2017 at 8:18 pm