FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on a 16 days itinerary
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:33 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Rickardz
10/10 Perche thanks for the response.

I do want to use Florence/Rome/Naples as base, and then I thought Sorrento for the Amalfi Coast but Positano would be a better choice? Let me try to clear out some things, I should've been more in depth to begin with.

Day 4: I was thinking day trip to Pisa and then back in the evening to Florence -- but then I'm thinking I don't really need a whole day in Pisa. So maybe 1-2 Florence, then on the 3rd day I can make a detour to Pisa when leaving Florence, then take the bus on my way down to Rome and stop at Orvieto/San Gimignano or whatever. Or maybe train from Florence to Rome is easier/faster/cheaper and I can make a day trip to somewhere north of Rome.

Good recommendation, I hadn't thought of that. So straight from Florence to Rome, then on the last day in Rome, I can make a day trip to Orvieto.

As for Naples and Pompeii, so then I could still spend the 2 days in Naples, but do half a day in Pompeii, go back to Naples and get ready for the last part of the trip.

About Capri, I've been told that 4 hours is enough, so my initial plan was staying at a hotel in Sorrento, taking the ferry to Capri in the morning, and be back in Sorrento by the evening to continue to the Amalfi Coast.
Day trips shouldn't be where you go on the way to somewhere else, carrying a bunch of luggage because you've checked out of your hotel, so you can't detour to Pisa on the way to Rome. You'll have luggage. You do day trips, if you choose to do them at all, during the middle of a stay if the crowds start to get on your nerves and you need a break. San Gimignano is fairly long train ride to get there for a one hour walk from one end of the town to the other, then a long train ride back. I went to San Gimi and to Siena from Florence, but I was in Florence for two weeks, not four days. I took a picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa out of the window of my car as I was driving by. It doesn't make that much sense to waste half a day just to take a photo of a tower. It's one of those places where people go and say, "Is that all there is to it?" If you spend a night in Sorrento, you're taking a night out of Positano. The more you stay in one place, the better. There's nothing in Sorrento to go there for. When in Capri, you can take the ferry to Sorrento, or Positano. If you are going to Positano, there is no point in wasting a day in Sorrento.

An even better option is to just go from Naples straight to Positano. Then, you'll have a couple of days in Positano to relax, and on one of those days you can do a half-day trip to Capri. This way, you won't be carrying your luggage around Capri, it will be in the hotel in Positano.