FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on a 16 days itinerary
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:22 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
4 days in Florence will pass quickly, particularly since your arrival day is one of them. I personally don't think it's worth a detour to Pisa, and not worth day tripping from Florence at all if it's your first time there.

Look at it this way:

Day 1: Arrive, check in, use the afternoon to do a walking tour. Dinner. Bed.
Day 2: Visit Palazzo Pitti / Giardino Boboli in the morning. Lunch. Museum, relax. Dinner.
Day 3: Accademia (buy tickets in advance or book a tour to cut the line). Lunch at Mercato Centrale or nearby. Afternoon, shopping, Duomo/Campanile, maybe the Natural History museum up past the Accademia (its small). Dinner.
Day 4: Uffizi. Lunch. Uffizi again? (It's big) or Museo Galileo nearby. Shopping, walking. Dinner.

You could have another trip there with a completely different itinerary.

Then on to Rome, where 5 days will also go quickly. Same with Naples.

If you're a first timer, you're better off planning fewer primary destinations - maybe 3 cities over 2 weeks - and if you truly get bored in any of them, you can pick a day trip and go. It's better to do that than to plan to re-pack every 3 days on a 16 day trip. It seems like a long time, but each day you transition from one place to another, you're going to lose half a day.
I agree completely. OP seems to really want side trips, but as I mentioned, that's a decision that can be made day to day. If boredom sets in it isn't necessary to make a reservation to take a train the next day to Pisa. They can just wake up and decide, "Let's go to Pisa today," and just walk to the train station, but I wouldn't do it either. OP should just figure out where he wants to be and lock down the hotels. Hotels are all cancelable this far out, so there's no reason to not just focus on that and make reservations.

The only things that really need to be planned are the Uffizi, Colosseum, and Vatican Museums because it's best to show up with a ticket to avoid the killer lines, and for the driver to Pompeii, but this can all be done much closer to the departure.