FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:37 pm
Tizzette

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Had a first last night, the passenger had the FA ask me to swap 4B for 2D. About five minutes after I was seated an FA asked me if I would switch 2D. The daughter of the guy sitting in 4A was sitting in 2D and they wanted to sit.

I told the FA I get up about once an hour and picked an aisle seat for that reason and it was also an odd number flight and they followed the rule of meal orders from the back of the plane that would mean I would miss out on my meal choice.

I was feeling a little guilty thinking the guy wouldn't be able to sit with his young daughter and was also worried if she was young enough I might get forced to move and told the FA that if 2C would take 2D I would take 2C but wanted her to do my meal choice before there's and she said not a problem.

Apparently 2C didn't agree to it and it turns out my seat mate was in his 60s and his daughter looked like she was in her 40s. He slept the entire flight anyway.

Not sure why the FA asked instead of him. Another weird thing was when the upgrade went through and I changed seats 4A was already taken. Since Delta is clearing two people at the same time now (or they were both on paid first class tickets) why didn't their system sit them together when the upgrade cleared or if it seated them separately he should have moved seats as soon as the upgrade cleared unless the original 4A did a SDC and they were a gate upgrade.
It is not right to put others on the spot and feeling guilty about saying no for trivial reasons like this example. Quite a few people think it is fine as long as you ask nicely, but you are still putting somebody on the spot.