FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stressful Global Upgrade Experiences
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:58 pm
DiverDave

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by dmorbust
When I went to the gate agent to ask if she had run the upgrade list, she said yes but that I did not get it. Confused I asked for more info and she said that I was currently #1 but that someone else got the only seat available. Now normally I would have just remained confused and let it go, but these were lie flat seats on a relatively long transcon so I called the Diamond Line to see if I could get any other info. Long story short, after asking them to check on seat 3C (the one seat that had been available), the Diamond Line told me that they didn't understand how I didn't get it as that person had been #26 on the standby list. I literally put the Diamond Line phone call on speaker and had the kind lady helping me out speak to the Redcoat. He was moved to make the swap when apparently he realized that the person who got 3C wasn't even a DM so he knew something must have gone wrong. The gate agent ended up swapping our seats.

Thankfully I managed to resolve that situation in my favor, when upon landing in Seattle well rested from the lie flat bed, I handed my passport to the gate agent for docs check when she told me I would likely be downgraded because business was oversold by two. (snip) My question in this scenario is who should be downgraded, and what are my options had they insisted on downgrading me?
The out of order upgrade JFK-SEA likely should be reported, with thanks to the DM agent and GA for sorting it out.

Your options after being downgraded would have been to travel in coach or take a later flight. I imagine you would have gotten a voucher for the downgrade, maybe $200. And likely your GUC would still be gone, having been consumed for JFK-SEA.

David