FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can Gold have 1 guest + 7yr old into GF?
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:52 am
aardvarkdave

Originally Posted by ratypus
Other benefits of Gold for your situation though will be:

2. Fast track security at non-UK airports is more widely available as a OneWorld Emerald than a Sapphire...(CPH, HAM, several others in Europe where you can get fast-track as a BA Gold but not as a Silver)

3. The new "First Wing" coming to LHR T5 from April could be a nice way to cut down on security lines...

5. Ability to force a "double Avios" award seat out of cash fare inventory in an emergency...can be really useful for last minute short-hauls when cash fares are high

8. Some "soft" recognition is possible on board - not always, but last few flights in WT/WTP I got a sneaky glass of champagne etc.

Erm - probably some others I have forgotten. Many of the above can be useful to you even when travelling as a group of 3.
Of the above:
I find priority boarding very variable outside UK with guests. GVA are particularly awkward.
New first wing I've been told by multiple checkin agents will be gold + 1 guest only
Double avios needs 30 days notice. Great perk, but not for last minute travel.
I've never even had an upgrade, let alone soft recognition!

I'm not disputing the value of the other perks (indeed, they're what keep me bothering with Gold!) but if the ones I've highlighted are the priorities for an individual, then I'd be realistic about their deliverability.