FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP ID Checks of Passengers Arriving on Domestic Flights
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:12 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by guflyer
1. What happens if one does not have proof of citizenship, only a driver's license? At least for New Mexico, there have been many driver's licenses granted in the last few years to people who are undocumented, thus having the license that one used for the TSA is not a good indication of citizenship.

2. Is one required to answer questions in this case? What happens if one does not answer any questions at all?

3. Can they search electronics, etc. in these instances, or only inquire about citizenship?
1. They usually accept the regular driving licenses, at least if it seems to align with the story of the person asked.

2. I would say I'm a US citizen traveling domestically while immigration and customs checks are for those crossing borders not for Americans like me staying in America on this trip.

3. They use a border zone doctrine/exemption but the notion of the area being a constitution-free zone is arguable. Here is the ACLU's take on it:

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitut...le-border-zone