FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carpet in Airports. WHY?!
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:13 pm
WhatTheMiguel

Originally Posted by pinniped
Then we'd need a 1,000-post thread about whether the window-seat occupants control the curtains.
Hahahahahahaha! For sure!

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
My only problem with carpet is when they don't clean it frequently enough. I've been in airports which have suffered leaks or high humidity issues and you can smell the carpets. If the carpets are cleaned regularly and airport conditions well-maintained, generally dont' have an issue with it, although it can look bad when heavily worn.
Agree about the lack of cleanliness. Add that to my list of why I hate carpets in airports.

Originally Posted by mapleg
Carpets are breeding grounds for filth and are rarely cleaned properly.

I despise them.
Yup!

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
The phrase that comes to mind here is "operator error". I've had a wide variety of rolling luggage over the past 40+ years and never once have I had trouble with pulling/pushing it across carpet. If you want a rant, let's talk about the hellish pebbled walkways in at YVR and a few other airports.
Like I said, I know this was a ridiculous rant, but I can't imagine I am the only one who has noticed that carpet causes more friction than hard flooring for rolling bags (especially 4 wheeled ones). While you may have no issue pulling a bag on carpet, I hate it (mostly because there is a noticeable difference from hard flooring). Also, as you know, not all carpet is created equally. While some is barely different from hard flooring (yeah!), some is more 'plush' or worn than others making it more burdensome (boo!).

I definitely agree about the hellish pebbled (or tiled with 3D patterns or bumps on them) walkways. One that always baffled me was at MSY. In the terminal, the floors are had and smooth, but in Baggage Claim, for some bizarre reason, they use this textured pattern of raised bubbles on the floors. Drives me insane!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the feedback!