FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carpet in Airports. WHY?!
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:48 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by WhatTheMiguel
Okay, this is going to be a (probably ridiculous) rant, so here is the quick version:
Yup.

tl;dr - Carpet is not ideal for rolling suitcases. Airports are full of rolling suitcases. Why in the world would you put carpet in Airports?
The phrase that comes to mind here is "operator error". I've had a wide variety of rolling luggage over the past 40+ years and never once have I had trouble with pulling/pushing it across carpet. If you want a rant, let's talk about the hellish pebbled walkways in at YVR and a few other airports.

As anyone who travels with a carryon must know, carpet + luggage wheels = UGH! I have never understood why airports insist on using carpet in the airport. It NEVER looks nice (as it only takes about 32 seconds to go from 'freshly installed' to 'the most unsanitary surface known to man'), it must be expensive to maintain, and it absolutely SUCKS for wheeled bags.
I find carpeted airports quieter and less stressful than one with hard surface floors.

I know, some of you are going to say 'try a different bag', but I have tried many, and it's the same story every time. Carpet slows you down and makes pulling a bag worse. Of all the things to complain about, this is obviously ridiculous. I get that, but I just can't understand why it even needs to be a thing. Like for real. Why?
Noise. Safety. Visual appeal. General design perception that a carpeted environment is "nicer" than slick, bare floors - think bus terminal versus luxury hotel lobby. Easier on the body if you're standing for a long period of time. Slows down people who shove their way through crowds without regard for others.