FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yosemite: 4-day trip questions [early March 2017]
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:23 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by boxo
My dad wants to do the $99 Yosemite Conservancy group snow shoe hike to Dewey Point on Saturday, March 4, so we're "committed" to going next week . It runs "rain or shine". I've been in regular communication with their office and they haven't sent any alert emails. Has anyone done this or any of their hikes?
Make sure whatever you have on your feet (boots, whatever) when you are snowshoeing is extremely well watersealed. Been there, done that, frostbite wasn't fun.

We're booked Friday and Saturday nights at Half Dome Village (formerly Curry Village) in a 2-bed cabin with no bath for $130/nt all in. I vaguely remember the community bath facility back when we stayed in a canvas tent cabin in the 1970s and it wasn't so bad. How is the facility now? Original, but updated (I hope)?
Tolerable, but it's a campground bathhouse. Remember to take your toiletries in a waterproof container, like a small plastic bucket, and things should be fine. Why waterproof container? Because many of the facilities don't have counters or the counters are always soaking wet - you can hook the bucket on a door or set it on the floor and your stuff won't get gross.

How bad is cell phone service in the Valley? Specifically, Verizon and TMobile. I may/may not need to coordinate with another snow shoe hiker. Just thinking ahead in case last minute communication is necessary.
Verizon is very temperamental in the valley. Sometimes I get a great signal, sometimes none.