FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA209/206 & A380 vs 747 Questions
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:34 am
lpoolrob

BA209/206 & A380 vs 747 Questions

I have some questions about a recent experience, I am not including specific dates in case the crew on the BA206 were doing something they were not supposed to do.

I recently travelled WTP on the A380 operated BA209 to Miami. Service was a trolley in each aisle, each manned with two cabin crew, to serve seven abreast (and then eight abreast assuming they continued back into WT). This is a contrast to the service in WT on the 747 which has a single crew member manning each trolley in each aisle per WT cabin at ten abreast. Do crews prefer the method of working in the A380 being able to make faster progress through the cabins?

I had to return in WT on the 747 operated BA206. This was a full flight in WT and service was incredibly slow. At one point, EIGHT of the entire crew were working the WT cabins - one in the galley, six in the rear WT cabin with three carts, and I could see one was still working the other WT cabin as the curtains were open. Is this normal for this route? Is it where (potentially slower) new recruits are placed as a part of long haul training? I have travelled WT 747 many times and never seen anything like it before. The lights were off for less than two hours before being put back on for breakfast.

Some further questions about the BA1390 to Manchester which was A321 operated when I flew. This had seven crew which seemed excessive. Six of the crew exited the airport at Manchester - I didn't realise there were crew based there although I guess it makes sense for the early morning flights. Are there a small number of crew at all domestic bases?

The BA App and an email notified me that the flight was very busy and I could check in my hand baggage for free. At the gate, pre boarding was offered to anyone who checked their hand baggage (which seemed a good idea - it had about 15 takers) and there were multiple gate announcements saying the flight was full. Again onboard we were told it was a full flight, place smaller items under the seat infront etc. I was in 2C and the first four or five rows had the middle seats empty - is this usual or a sign of things to come for Club Europe on Domestic? I travel to Heathrow to Manchester a few times each year and have not noticed this before.