FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cape Town, South Africa
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:43 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Cheap for automatic transmission or only for manual transmission (stick shift)?

I drive a stick shift (Civic) at home, so I always choose a manual transmission overseas. In my one case where I checked at JNB, automatics seemed to be about the price of manuals.

And I would think getting used to a stick shift, if you're never driven one, is much more complicated than getting used to sitting on the right and driving on the left. (The one thing I'd find disorienting is driving on the left but sitting on the left, which is what you'd get if you rented a car in continental Europe and took it into the UK. I use which side of the car I'm sitting on to remind me which side of the road to drive on !)
You would notice many many road signs at UK starting from the ferry to remind you now you are driving on the right!

We had a Corolla stickshift on both trips. First trip was one rental PLZ-CPT. Second trip had 2 rentals - JNB-JNB, CPT-CPT. All 3 were Corolla stickshift from Avis. The Honors AWD works very well on international rentals. Hon Circle also good but it is only a tad better than the public Honors so we stick with the Honors AWD.

It normally takes 1 to 2 days for my husband to stop making mistakes on the turn signal / windshield wiper when he switches from driving on the left to driving on the right, and vice versa.
So when we return to countries such as in EU or US, after a prolong driving trip in UK, Australia, South Africa etc, it takes him 1 to 2 days to return to "normal".