FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reasons to visit HK
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:25 am
evergrn

Originally Posted by wco81
It was fairly clear around 3 PM so thought I'd take the tram up to the Peak. By the time I arrived, around 4:30 PM, the line was crazy. Went all the way to the back of the parking lot and then right across the street from the ticket office, it was packed back and forth.

I'd taken the tram twice before and the line was never this bad.
The line to take the tram up at the bottom station has been consistently bad over the last several years. It certainly wasn't this bad ~10yrs ago. I don't know what's happened. At first we cheated by skipping the line and catching the tram instead at the second stop on the way up (think it's called Kennedy Rd or something). You have to have Octopus card to pull this off because you can't buy ticket there. But then I stopped doing that a couple years ago because I just felt too guilty. Maybe it was my imagination, but I sensed some people were staring at us disapprovingly. So then we started just cabbing to the top, tramming back down. These days we take the cab up and down and not bother with the tram altogether.

Anyways, for the first or second-timer, I'd suggest taking the cab up and riding the tram down. You'll want to make sure you don't get ripped off by the driver with a ridiculous flat fee to go up. Metered rate from Admiralty to the taxi station next to Peak Galleria should be ~60HKD or less.