FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you look for in crew? [FT News 'Crewed Talk']
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:29 pm
Amanda Pleva

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The key to excellence in any customer facing career is the ability to read people, take social cues and adapt your service to their taste.

Some people like to be chatty, so chat with them. Some people want to be left alone; leave them alone. Some people (me) like to have their wine glass refilled without having to ask much less ring the call button; keep 'er full (one FC FA on UA LHR-IAD left the wine bottle between my wife and me so we could pour ourselves....probably broke some stupid rule, but that FA got an 'atta boy' cert).

And for God's sake, smile. It's really easy and makes SUCH a huge difference.

The fact that you care enough to ask tells me you are probably very good at your job. ^

I really appreciate that! Writing this column and thinking more critically about the airline industry and the passenger experience from the passenger standpoint - not just what an airline thinks their customers want - has really gotten me on my game a bit more. But then again it has also made me terribly paranoid, in that I constantly wonder if I have read someone's cues wrong and didn't anticipate their needs. Reading through the forum here definitely makes me wonder! But I suppose, like you say, it's proof that I care and that's half the battle, right?

As I said, it's amazing how the most compliments go to the most complained about FAs, generally. They're usually the most boisterous and visible, which people love or hate. I don't mind not getting constant compliments because I don't get complained about. I understand why - for instance, I hate crews that put on a show - but others love it. So you just have to play to your audience!