FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The points and miles blog business model
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:44 pm
ctownflyer

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
It's an apt comparison to broadcast TV (or radio even more so) in fact. It's not like a shoe salesman, or insurance, or a car dealership, etc. where an overt purchase must be made in order for the consumer to "consume" the offered product. A radio station, broadcast TV station, or blogger is putting their product out there for the world, with no direct exchange of cash from the consumer to the seller necessary, with income indirectly from advertisers.

To go into any of those types of businesses you'd have to realize that some percentage of listeners/viewers (perhaps many) will fast forward the commercials, change the radio station, or block ads. Although anecdotally, most people I know don't use blockers or even know what they are, whereas I don't know anyone who won't fast forward or TV commercials (or go to the bathroom, get a snack, etc during commercials).

While I understand the feeling/frustration of the bloggers, I think "morally wrong" is a bit much - that term, to me, goes with things in life much more serious than web ads.

I will turn off blockers for good quality sites that rely on ads (and the ads aren't intrusive)...though for the likes of VFTW, OMAAT, MMS, etc? No way - they get plenty of income from other means IMHO. If that means I'm a bad guy, then so be it.

Besides, aren't we reminded on occasion by some folks on here that the P&M bloggers are just doing this for love of the hobby, to help out friends & relatives, etc?
Where do you draw the line?

What about downloading bootleg music or movies?