FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shoddy Upgrade Offer and High Cost
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:47 pm
Concerto
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by canyoncar
$700 extra over 9 days is $77/day upcharge. Was it a Corvette?
You know, I'm not sure. It was something unnecessarily huge, a full size saloon car. It had all sorts of gimmicks, including being able to park itself and endless stupid noises to go with it. I tried to disable all the electronic rubbish, because I have been parking cars for 20 years without bashing them and I find all these noises frankly annoying. If you can't park a car, you shouldn't be driving it.

The agent gleefully showed off all its capabilities in the parking garage at FLL. I did point out to him that in the time that it took him to get the whole thing working and responding properly, I could have parked the car manually 20 times!

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm local to Fort Lauderdale and occasionally rent from the Fort Lauderdale Downtown/Beach Avis location. I think they are managed by the same people that run the FLL location. One time when a representative is having system problems he had me wait while he "called the airport" for help.

If you can't get someone at FLL to answer, you may try calling this location. There probably won't be a manager there, but someone should pick up and may be able to transfer you or give you a direct phone number. You could also try asking for an email address.

Phone: 954-462-7200
Link to location information: https://www.avis.com/en/locations/us...lauderdale/j1j
Hours (all times Eastern): 8am to 6pm Monday-Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday, 8am to 2pm Sunday
Thanks for the suggestions and tips. I finally got someone articulate enough on the phone to be able to tell me that the managers are super busy (I get the impression there's more than one), in meetings until 9h30am then literally "on the floor" all day. Sometime between 3 and 4pm things begin to calm down and they are more likely to be in their offices and able to check email.

The same person gave me the email address of the manager. So I have written a carefully worded and concise as possible email, without exaggerating or being inflammatory, appealing to the goodwill of the manager and asking if he would rescind the costs on this occasion. I carefully pointed out that at no time had I been informed of the cost of the upgrade.

Meantime, the contract has been closed, a bill has arrived at home and the inflated charge is showing on my credit card statement. I want to give the FLL station a chance to sort this out, before contacting the credit card people. To be honest, the utter best I am hoping for is a 50% reduction of the extra charge, but I still feel that will be unfair.