FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does AA not late check bags / baggage?
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:36 am
LovePrunes

Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't expect any favors. When I've done this in the past, the agent has been clear: "this is a late bag, it might not make it onto the flight with you." Okay, fine. I accept that. I accept the fact that if it doesn't make it, it's on me to get it from the destination airport when the next flight arrives, not expect a free delivery to the hotel.

This is what airlines have done for many, many years. There is no slippery slope. If I show up at T-44 at a tiny station where the plane is 50 feet away, the agent can still say "You're late. The bag might not make it." No risk to the airline.

The seems like a reasonable solution for both the airline and the traveler. And one that (apparently) most other airlines still regularly follow in places where positive bag matching is not required.
That's not what AA does. Since this is the AA forum and the OP had the problem on AA, it really doesn't apply that "This is what airlines have done for many, many years"

For many many years airlines also did other things such as
  • mileage based bonus points not revenue based
  • meals in coach
  • refund with voucher when the price of your flight goes down after purchase
  • free checked luggage
  • not charge for aisle or exit seats
  • I could go on

Things change.

We have to learn the rules and policies and work within them, and like you said, don't expect any favors.