FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hunt for gohei mochi
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:50 am
angra

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Hunt for gohei mochi

On my first visit to Japan, I bought a snack at a snack-stand in Magome that turned out to be gohei mochi. It was super good and we loved it and resolved to eat more if we got the chance. Alas, we did not see it sold anywhere else on that trip. Since then, I've been back to Japan a bunch of times and never seen it, though I keep my eyes open for it.

I'm going to be in Japan for the flyertalk gathering in April, and then will hang out in country for a while afterward. I'd like to find some tasty tasty gohei mochi while I am in country if I can.

On the English web there are lots of *recipes* for gohei mochi, but very little advice on where to find it sold. There are a few web pages that imply that in parts of certain prefectures, it's practically ubiquitous at snack stands. I'm trying to narrow down my search to more specifics, like maybe cities or towns where I'd see it a lot.

Can any of you fine folks advise specific places where I'd likely find it on sale a lot? I plan to spend a few days in and around Nagoya this trip, and I gather that this is in the neighborhood, but have stalled out getting more specific.