FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for advice - 20Feb2017, loss paid F seat aassignment
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:55 am
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by conquistador74
Thanks LAX. - Didn't need to be scolded before. Appreciate it. I fly enough to know musical chairs. Don't need to be together, just would like to be in the cabin, as paid. Exec. didn't make me feel more comfortable when I asked, "if the cabin is not oversold, I should assume that there will be a seat for him?" and the response received was "you can't assume anything!"

Just trying to be prepared as to what would be an appropriate request on my end if for some reason there isn't a seat.

Thanks
It's good to prepare. I'd be asking the same questions if I was in your position. Yes, it's an inconvenience and I'd highlight that to the gate agent. But they often have little control as to when/how passengers seat assignments get removed. Although they should be able to tell you who did it, when, and why. (The why may just be "operational" if it's an air marshall, pilot rest seat, etc).

The Exec didn't give you the 'right' response I would've wanted to hear if I was a parent. Yes, there's a small chance that a downgrade could occur, but I'd just argue with the fact that if they downgrade the 7 year old minor, then they'd have to downgrade you too, because he's not sitting alone in economy. Given that information, UA 'should' ask another passenger to downgrade rather than downgrading 2.

But who knows how these things work! Let us know how things play out.