FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 6/2016 UA Inaugural SFO-SIN in coach, etc.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:21 am
jmail1

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by violist

I agree with you about Pecan Lodge and have enjoyed
it very much; thing is that lili and I have generally
stayed (being relatively cheap folks) at places that
offer free breakfast, which means only light eating
until later in the day when Pecan Lodge is likely to
be closed. The two Lockharts, for example, have the
advantage of being open into the evening. See here.

I thank you for your recommendation of Heim and
will bear it in mind.
Ah yes, I missed that part. I'm not sure if you've been since they moved from the Farmer's Market but they have their own freestanding location near downtown now that stays open until 10pm on Friday and Saturday.

If you try Heim you must try their bacon burnt ends.

Another shot in the dark for you would be Cattleack, a relatively new place that is by the Galleria. It has a VERY short window of when it is open but has gotten better reviews than Pecan Lodge over the past year. It is only open from 10:30am-2pm on Thursday and Friday. I would put their brisket as dead even with PL and their pork ribs are better.

You can find plenty of reviews and pictures of it online. The best place to read about Texas BBQ is http://tmbbq.com/. Daniel Vaughn was an architect who started a blog of his travels around the state on the weekends eating BBQ. It turned into a full time job as the BBQ editor for Texas Monthly.

Having said all of that I really like Lockhart and would put it up there with all three others.

If in Houston Killeen's in Pearland is where to start, for both steak and BBQ. Two separate places but same quality.