FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:26 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Not going to dig through the entire thread, but I wonder if anyone else has had a Platinum Amenity fail be ascribed to using mobile check in.

I currently have 17 rooms at the Santa Clara Marriott. Didn't really think about the amenity at check in because I have 17 rooms (and 49 high school kids) to distract me.

At dinner a coworker used his $10 credit and it dawned on me that I had not been asked for my choice of amenity. In fact my status was not even mentioned.

It was late (just before midnight), but I went to the desk to ask about the amenity. I did not even ask for the $100 guarantee and they told me I had to wait for a manager. After a few minutes waiting the manager came out and told me that when you do mobile check in they automatically assign you points for your amenity. I asked why they don't give you a choice when you show up for your keys. She did not answer this question, but replied, "Would you like me to change your amenity to the F&B credit?" I answered, "No, I'd like my $100 Platinum Guarantee."

I have been promised that I will have an answer to my request tomorrow (by phone or email). I guess they have to decide if automatically choosing points for everyone who uses mobile check in is a violation of the guarantee. I can't imagine that this has not come up before, so I'm really not sure this makes any sense.

So...is this a thing? Do we lose the Platinum Guarantee if we use mobile check in? Has anyone had to appeal this? How did that work out?
This is just another swing at defaulting to points if they don't ask. The terms call for you being asked and not they get to choose. Get MR involved if you need to. Any interaction with a FDC is their opportunity to deliver as promised.