FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:16 am
itsallgood

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
10 nights for me so far in 2017 at average spend over $300/per. No Hyatt.

At Marriott Marquis San Diego, they upgraded me to an executive suite as a Gold. Hyatt Manchester never did that in seven stays last year as a Diamond.
My regular chains are: Marriott, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt. Mostly domestic with an occasional mix of international travel. My comments are domestic only; international is a whole different world (better in terms of everything)

As far as random suite upgrades, SPG has been the best hands down. I've had some great suite upgrades with SPG.

I've gotten a few random suite upgrades with both Marriott and Hilton but I never expect them.

Hyatt has only upgraded me to a suite when I've used a DSU ... I've never been upgraded to a suite without one. And more than a few of the Hyatt suite upgrades have just been a second 'meeting type' room that's between two regular rooms - they are not what I'd call a suite.

The big reason why I prefer Hyatt over other hotel chains domestically is because of the quality of complimentary food in lounges and their breakfast policy when there's no lounge. I remember a decade or more ago when lounge food at Marriotts and SPGs was good food. Now, most of what's served is barely edible. I didn't stay at many Hiltons or Hyatts until after the food went downhill at those chains, but quickly found that Hiltons offered the same nearly inedible food as Marriotts and SPGs. Hyatt has been a standout on that front - lounge food has been very good and when there's no lounge, the Hyatt restaurant breakfast is the most generous of the main hotel chains.

I'll be interested to see if many Hyatt properties play games with 'complimentary' suite upgrades with the new program. But again, most Hyatts have terrible suite upgrades for DSUs (a 'bonus' room rather than a true suite) so I don't see that getting any better with complimentary upgrades.