FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Meridien Visconti Rome, Italy, [Master Thread]
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:08 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paolo64
Here now. As discussed, the location is excellent. Pretty easy access from/to the metro at either Flaminio ( Piazza del Popolo), a pleasant stroll and hotel is just across the river , or Lepanto.
Maybe 10-12 minute walk to Castel Sant Angelo, 15 minutes further to Vatican.
I've eaten in the area of the hotel many times before but never actually noticed the building when it was the Visconti Palace, probably because the exterior is nondescript, leaning towards 1980s ugly.
Significant work is still in progress: but it doesn't intrude upon the interior areas that are open.
Upgraded to "Executive" ( booked the cheapest cash rate as PLT). Public areas are nicely done in marble, but subtle.
Room is on 5th floor, kind bed, double glazed, no exterior noise but a bit of minor internal noise from floor above. Size: maybe about 30SQM. From the look of the fire escape chart, most rooms are about the same size. So it's NYC/Paris/Tokyo size or a bit larger.
Very little closet or luggage space.
Bathroom is functional, walk-in shower, bidet, no bath
Decor is neutral, light wood veneer furniture, no desk chair ( just one small armchair and an ottoman which slides under the desk).
Kettle, no coffee machine, mini bar with just beers, colas, water. Small TV.
The room is fine for 1 , would be perfectly ok for a couple but can't imagine how kid(s) would fit.
No view: the building is 7 floors and is surrounded by others the same height. There is a terrace on the top floor, looking a bit barren now but will be a great place for drinks/food ( it has distant spire views).
The hotel does participate in MAGC.
The checkin guy was very pleasant . He had a 'cheat sheet' about SPG and he was determined to get everything right. All staff have been extremely pleasant.
Internet: good speed. The checkin guy gave me a code for hi speed. It bypasses the name/room number login.
Clearly it's very early days for this hotel . The location is great, room is pleasant but far from *WOW*. The selling point for me will be price: I baulk at the crazy rates of some hotels here but I guess they charge what people are prepared to pay. I suspect one sweet spot for members looking at this property would be 5th night free (48,000 or 9,600 per night)....that does look like value.
So:I LOVE the location and like the hotel but not blown away by it.
BTW, choice is Buffet breakfast OR 500 points ( I have an early train so might not get the breakfast, served 6-11 IIRC

Edit to add: it reminds me of , but is nicer than,Le Meridien Etoile
Thanks for the review ^^.

Sounds like a good points value for multiple days in Rome (especially compared to the points price for other Rome SPG properties) but probably not worth it for me this May with a quick 18 hour (from landing at FCO to leaving FCO again) overnight layover.