FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA award redemption within Africa (BA - Comair)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:35 am
SpammersAreScum

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bertheike
I not want to fly within Southafrica. I simply thought to find a good deal for our AA miles and studied the award chart, where I found the 10/17,5k for flights within Africa. So my first idea was to search for TUN-JNB/CPT, which would have been a good deal, if it would be available. But quickly i found out, that there are no oneworld or airline partners flying from anywhere in northafrica to southafrica, without routing via a 3rd. region.
I still have half a million AA miles which were transfered from USair.
And our main traveling is/was between Europe and Asia. Bevore when them belonged to *aliance, i used 100k for a roundtrip in first class on TG/LX/LH/SQ between Europe and HKG with a stopover in Thailand. Now the same award costs 180k and is much more difficult to get.
Since the last devaluation there are no more sweet spots in AA's chart ( @ least not in premium booking classes ).
Or do i miss something ? @:-)
I don't think you're missing anything, as far as Africa is concerned. According to the OneWorld route map, none of the northern African airports (even Cairo) have direct connections to other airports in Africa.

If you look at the MileSAAver Scarcity thread, you'll see lots of folks noting how in particular the Bus/First MileSAAver availability has drastically gone down lately. If there is any noting of exceptions, you'll probably find it there.

For example, right now DFW-HKG has Bus MileSAAver available on a direct flight for 32,50070,000 miles on Sep 26 and 27, while cash price is $4312. So they exist but they're real scarce.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Feb 8, 2017 at 5:45 pm Reason: corrected miles required