FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:24 pm
Kamalaasaa

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Before the holidays I applied for an MPE card, but to be honest I forgot about it until recently. I never received either a card or a denial letter, so I called Chase to ask about it. (There is a hard pull from Chase on my credit report, so I assume that means I was denied.)

The automated status line said there was no record of my application. When I talked to a CSR, she said the same thing – since it has been more than 30 days, there is nothing in their system.

To be honest, I really don't care that much about the MPE card at this point. In several ways I wish I had not applied for it at all, to be honest (I don't fly UA much, but I already have DL and AA cards). HOWEVER - the SW RR+ card has some attractive features to me, so I would like to be able to apply for it. I don't have status on any airline – my travel patterns are such that I flew around 52,000 miles in 2016, but on 13 different airlines (5 US and 8 non-US, and I could get FF miles from only 4 of the non-US carriers, in 2 different programs) - and I'm not likely to, as price overrules loyalty for my work travel (which much of this was).

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a number at Chase I can call to get info on why I was denied? Or is there someone I can write? I'd like to know the reason(s).

My FICO score is 800–810. I have only applied for one card in the last 24 months (from Citi, which I received). But I think my combined credit limit is close to my annual income (which is not that high), which might have done it for them. I pay my bills in full each month, and my credit usage is well below 30% of my combined limit (which they also might not have liked). Is this a case of "You don't need any more credit"?

2. Given that I never received a denial letter, is there a state or federal agency with which I should file a complaint? I thought banks were supposed to issue denial letters.I'm not out to get Chase. I just think they should have sent a letter.

3. Given that I never received a denial letter, should I try to get the hard pull removed from my credit report? I don't have any documentation of denial, so I don't know if that renders it a no-go. But that would be part of my appeal.

4. Could anyone at a Chase branch tell me anything? Could they take an application for the SW card?

Given the unknowns here, and that there is at least one other Chase product that interests me, I would like to get some more information/resolution from them. I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!