FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cuba Itinerary help - please
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:03 am
BSBtraveller

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Originally Posted by mfeldman1969
I will rent a taxi. Perhaps someone can recommend a private guide in Havana? Also, I hear what everyone is saying about food. I will keep my expectations down but I would appreciate a recommendation of few true authentic places.
Rice and beans and grilled meat and some fish seafood. Tomato cucumber and cabbage salad. Flan (creme caramel) for desert. Same menu pretty much everywhere for tourists although in some places they have lobster going cheap, but rarely cooked well.

Local village restaurants in people's houses do have more interesting options but you'll need to ask around. Some great seafood in these places. Plus a bit of spit roast pig. Ask a local they'll tell you where. Locals are VERY friendly and happy to talk and share info.

They do good rum based drinks, mojoitos everywhere which range from sickly sweet to minty good, but always with lots of booze. Plus in the countryside lots of drunken coconut (fresh coconut with a generous slug of rum poured in). They're very happy because of the music and endless booze. It's fun.