FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:02 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completing my first stay here. Comparison point is Manchester Grand Hyatt, where I stayed probably 10x last year.

Upgraded at check-in (as a Gold) to an executive suite on the 18th floor. I never got a free suite upgrade at the GH as a Hyatt Diamond. So big win for Marriott there.

Room is pleasant, with a balcony, lots of windows, nice view of the bay toward Coronado and the pools. Very comfortable sectional sofa. Bathroom is a little awkward, but the shower has a water view. Bed was comfortable. Room is at the end of the hallway, so very little noise from the corridor. By comparison, GH has slightly better views and lacks the garish Marriott color schemes (seriously, who thinks a blue and yellow carpet is a good idea?).

Checked out the lounge for happy hour and breakfast. Yes it's a bit small (and definitely not as cool as the Grand Club at GH). But the food options were pretty good. Breakfast this morning offered multiple hot options (eggs, bacon, turkey sausage, potatoes, and oatmeal), which is a big win over GH where there is just a single hot dish.

Internet is smoking fast (nearly 50 mbs up/down). Asked for a 1 pm check-out and that was no problem at all (convention hotel, so I wasn't sure how that would go over). Overall, a super pleasant stay and I will happily shift my 2017 stays here from Hyatt.