FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:11 am
Beolab

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

The last few months I travelled a lot on long haul flights with SIA, also in the new Premium Economy Class. Through talking to the crew and two SIA employees, who were seated next to me on different flights, I learned that SIA receives quite a lot of complaints on it's new Premium Economy product.

Even as a longstanding SIA customer and fan of the airline, I could understand why and decided to do some more research on websites such as this one and the Skytrax website: www.airlinequality.com, where also quite a few passengers turned out to have given negative feedback.

Somehow SIA seems to have missed the opportunity to set a new industry standard with the development of this new cabin. Constantly returning remarks on SIA's new Premium Economy are:

-Seat design features a footrest, which turns out to be useless for most
-No dedicated restrooms for the cabin section which other airlines do have
-No cabin separation from Economy Class. The curtains stay open
-No pre-takeoff drinks
-Meal quality only marginally better then Economy Class
-Book the Cook orders are served first, but no accompanying drinks service. This comes much later when the Book the Cook meal is already finished.
-No dedicated cabin crew for this cabin section, resulting in only one drink
service with the meal. Refill round too late or none at all.
-Champagne in all advertising, but only available on request
-Drinks served in plastic cups, not glassware
-Overpriced for what is offered. Often twice the price of Economy

To be honest, when I compare the SIA Premium Economy product to my Premium Economy experiences on EVA Air and Air New Zealand, I have to admit that these Airlines offer better products at often much better prices. Even as a starch SIA defender, I am slightly disappointed in the way that SIA has executed this new cabin product. I am really interested to hear about your views & experiences!

Last edited by Beolab; Feb 3, 2017 at 9:21 am