FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flew to Vancouver from LA lately...
Old Dec 6, 1999, 1:43 am
West Coast Flyer

Carfield is not traveling at lunch, so on his flight there will be a three course dinner. Lunch service on AS is lighter than dinner. It is sometimes two courses, with a choice of salad (or sometimes a pizza and salad) or sandwhich and then usually a dessert. On shorter flights they skip the dessert.

The 737-400s are being expanded to 12 seats, as mentioned. I was just on one with 12 seats. However on their reservation system it only showed up as 8 seats, so you don't know until you get there. Leg room was fine...probably about 38 inchs. But since AS offers a bit more legroom in coach than most airlines, it Y and F don't seem that different in leg room. Because they are installing new seats, some planes won't have phones at this time. 737-400 N791 will be the first to be installed with satellite televsion in March of next year for a trial run. Providing a successful trial run, this should eventually make its way to most AS a/c.

Dinner is typically very good. Hot towel service usually occurs, but not always. On some flights they offer newspapers. The F/As are usually very accomidating. My experience with the F/A service is not that of Eastbay1K. I find the F/As up front to be very attentive, and drink service is frequent. AS has a "wine list" in their in-flight magazine. They don't usually say much about this, so be sure to ask. Four wines plus (I think) champagne are available.

The last time I had dinner on an AS flight (LAX-SEA), it consisted of:

Mixed greens salad w/caeser dressing
sourdough roll

Choice of "Pacific Rim Pasta" or Pork Tenderloins, in Marsala wine sauce. I had the pasta, and it had shrimp, asparagus and linguine in a light cream sauce. It was very good.

Dessert was a hazelnut flan...quite refreshing. A more common dessert is an ice cream sundae.

Do you have a dinner flight both ways?

[This message has been edited by West Coast Flyer (edited 12-06-1999).]