FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATMs when visiting?
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:19 am
SunLover

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Living here, I stick to ATMs that are physically attached to banks or located within the confines of a shopping mall because ATM skimming isn't uncommon here. Unless it's an emergency, I would avoid standalone ATMs located near street corners or outside convenience stores.
Agreed. If possible I would stick to 'ATMs that are physically attached to banks' during business hours. Have heard horror stories of remote ATM's swallowing cards at inopportune times. Better to have some immediate recourse, and always have a backup card option just in case.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Superrich, which has some of the better rates for a non-bank money changer, won't even take traveler's checks. If you don't want to go the ATM route, $100 bills with no rips, tears, or writing on them is probably going to get you the best exchange rate - at Superrich or VASU (and VASU, to my knowledge, is only in Bangkok.)
$50 and $100 USD notes in pristine (basically uncirculated) condition and of the latest design get the best reception. IMO it is worth the effort visiting multiple bank branches (if necessary) in your home market to accomplish this.

SL