FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATMs when visiting?
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:59 pm
transpac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I continue to use AEON ATMs with my Fidelity Visa debit card occasionally (I have accounts at Bangkok Bank and SCB for local use), mainly because there is one close by, they dish out up to 20,000 THB (some ATMs here are physically limited to 15,000 based on the height of the dispensing slot), still charge 150 baht fee (on VISA, not important to me as Fidelity returns the fee) and give the daily VISA exchange rate.

I haven't stayed up to date on how the other local banks handle VISA and MC cards re: hidden fees/poor exchange rates. There are threads on ThaiVisa with recent details I think?

The fees on Trav Checks used to be 30+3 for 33 per check, but those went up a few years ago to 150+3 for 153; I don't think anybody uses those anymore? But think you'll need to go to a bank for those where you'll get a poor rate.

There are a gazillion threads on cash exchange, but the absolute best rates are found in Pradipat Road, but it's not worth the trip for small amounts. The traders in Rajprasong/Ratchadamri Road (SuperRich A, B & C, et al.) are where most people go. Some of these shops have outlets in town, even in BTS stations, where they offer slightly poorer rates. The line at the SuperRich (green/orange I think?) outlet in the Asoke BTS station was easily 40 deep over the past few days; they only sell baht at these locations.

Last edited by transpac; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:19 pm