FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying a TIM sim card at FCO ?
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:24 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Perche
Would I have to be connected to WiFi, or can I make such a call from anywhere? Right now I make calls when connected to WiFi using Skype.

The problem is, for someone to call me, we have to make an appointment, and I call them using Skype. Is there a benefit to Google Hangouts compared to Skype?

The problem is, once you put that TIM SIM card in there, you no longer have a functional USA phone number. People naturally try to call or text using your USA number, but it's not active. Therefore, you're basically out of touch.
Google Hangouts works over WiFi or cellular data.

It works exactly like your regular phone app except that you have to use the Google Hangouts dialer to make and answer the calls. People can call you from any landline or mobile phone by dialing your Google Voice number; they don't need to install a dedicated app.

When you set up a Google Voice account, you will have the option to select a phone number in any US area code.

You may wish to continue this discussion in the Travel Technology forum where the real experts hang out (pun intended).