FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:45 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hfnole
I have a MIA-MAD-DOH-CAI flight sold by Qatar Airways. The MIA-MAD portion is operated by AA. MAD-DOH-CAI is operated by Qatar Airways. I am not planing on taking the MAD-DOH flight. If I check in bags will they be checked all the way through to Doha or Cairo? Or will I get my bags and clear customs with them in Madrid?

Also, I have my AA frequent flyer number for this flight. Have any of you had problems losing miles in a hidden city flight situation when the other flights are operated by a partner airline?

Is there any chance that AA would credit me the miles for the Qatar flights of MAD-DOH-CAI if I didn't take them? Have any of you had luck being credited for flights you paid for but didn't take with partner airlines? The MAD-DOH-CAI are business class flights so it would be great if I could earn these miles.
I'd recommend not checking, or perhaps shipping or couriering, your bag. There would not be an opportunity to recover your bag for Spanish customs as it would be through checked, and unless you have a very long connection in MAD it's unlikely AA would short check.

As for miles, QR fails to report flown flights to AA possibly 10-20% of the time, so I think collecting EQD, EQM, RDM credit for the unflown (b.p. not read in at the gate) flights would be highly unlikely. In fact not showing for your MAD QR flight will likely result in your ensuing flight being cancelled.