FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:39 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hfnole
I have a MIA-MAD-DOH-CAI flight sold by Qatar Airways. The MIA-MAD portion is operated by AA. MAD-DOH-CAI is operated by Qatar Airways. I am not planing on taking the MAD-DOH flight. If I check in bags will they be checked all the way through to Doha or Cairo? Or will I get my bags and clear customs with them in Madrid?

Also, I have my AA frequent flyer number for this flight. Have any of you had problems losing miles in a hidden city flight situation when the other flights are operated by a partner airline?

Is there any chance that AA would credit me the miles for the Qatar flights of MAD-DOH-CAI if I didn't take them? Have any of you had luck being credited for flights you paid for but didn't take with partner airlines? The MAD-DOH-CAI are business class flights so it would be great if I could earn these miles.
If you check bags they will be checked all the way to CAI, although depending on your layover time it might be possible to short check them to MAD only. You will have no trouble earning miles for the MIA-MAD segment that you fly, but you will not earn miles for the segments that you skip. There's no way around this, if there were then obviously everyone would be doing it.