FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:43 am
iflyjetz

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Yeah - pretty much the entire continental US hotel base, other than anything flagged Park. Even the "Grand" properties don't match up (and I like them, this isn't a slam) to Four Seasons or Peninsula class hotels. If he's serious, they better set up a reserve for laying off about 90% of the existing staff, doubtful that many of them can be trained to work in high end hospitality.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then Hyatt will have an even smaller footprint.
Gentlemen, I apologize for my delayed response. I'd like to clarify a bit my impression of the future of Hyatt based on the following articles.

Most of us have already read the Skift interview, posted earlier. If anyone missed it, here's the link again: https://skift.com/2017/01/17/hyatt-c...eds-of-guests/

I found the Skift article a bit cryptic and Hoplamazian sounded like one of those out of touch coastal marketing douches (way too many words not normally associated with the hotel industry) who thinks most of his customers are top 1% earners.

I found these two articles centering on the Miraval acquisition and felt they gave me a better understanding of Hoplamazian's vision of Hyatt's future.
http://www.travelweekly.com/In-the-H...rk-Hoplamazian
http://hotelnewsnow.com/Articles/106...th-in-wellness

After reading those two articles, it became clear to me that Hoplamazian had an epiphany in the floating meditation class in Tucson and it sounds like his vision is to have a Miraval spa in almost every Hyatt in the world. I am expecting to see Hyatt shift from emphasizing room revenues to emphasizing incidentals/spa revenues. This would explain Hoplamazian's nutty 'engagement' theme in the above interviews.

After reading everything, it reinforced my view that Hoplamazian is an out of touch coastal douche who is starting to be concerned about his mortality (hence the emphasis on wellness) and thinks that the typical Hyatt customer is part of the 1%. Focusing on the wellness tourism dollar (<$500M annual revenues) by a >$4B annual revenue company in a >$100B business sounds like tripping over dollars to pick up dimes. If that's truly Hoplamazian's vision of Hyatt's future, most of the current Hyatt properties do not fit into their new business model and frankly, there's no need for a loyalty program because the people that are being targeted don't care very much about hotel loyalty programs.

As for my paid (nonwork) stays in Jan:
2 nights at HR, one a super cheap cash rate and one a P+C rate, so that I could burn my remaining two DSUs.
5 nights at 2 different Fairmonts.
Feb plans:
Burn a free IHG night.
Get a few Hilton nights toward annual qualification.
Zero Hyatt nights planned; have a free annual CC cert that expires in Jun that I'm saving for the new WoH so I can get a suite upgrade that night.

For what it's worth, both Fairmonts had MUCH nicer exercise/workout facilities than the HR.