FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-refundable, non-changeable international ticket
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:11 am
NDFan

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is not true that the most restrictive rule will appliy. That is a popular mantra stated here, but quite untrue and the actual situation is purely based on what the fare rules states in changes/cancellations section
It's not just a "popular mantra" here, it quite clearly states it at the top of the fare rules page:

"The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary."

However, you are quite correct that in further delving I did find the text you quoted that the changeable portion remains changeable.

This is nothing new nor shady. It iis not uncommon to get non changeable fares when originating outside North America
It may not be new, but it is definitely a bit shady. Such a significant restriction should be made very clear upfront, as others have said. You, with your years of experience, may expect such an unusual restriction. I, having been an Advantage member since 1984, several years as EXP, was surprised by it, but at least knew to go hunting for it, though I am still confused by the contradictory terms, and the EXP agent's insistence that the O portion IS changeable.
The average traveller, or indeed somewhat above-average traveller, would likely be completely unaware of this restriction and would get a nasty shock if they needed to make any change.