FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ideas needed for mother daughter trip
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:53 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
CDTraveler, very easy to not be insulated at hotel/etc
I strongly disagree. I've traveled on 4 continents and hotels are pretty much hotels. Guests are taken care of to greater or lesser degrees, they're not out shopping in the local markets seeing what local cuisine, and hygiene, and social customs are really like. They're not experiencing the same inconveniences as the locals - spent time in the Philippines a while back: locals had to deal with daily shut downs of the electrical grid, but hotels with their generators insulated guests from that experience. Try cooking for the family with random power outages, or keeping food fresh.

Local family centered culture in hotels? Again, it's limited. You're not going to learn local playground etiquette there. How many other mothers of small children will you meet?

Then there's language barriers. You suggested "asia" "india" "bhutan" "europe" "south america" and "mexico" - what languages does the OP speak in addition to English? How well do you connect with local culture if you don't speak the language? I speak 2 languages in addition to English and can struggle along in 2 more, but I still don't claim expertise on those cultures. I can look in the window of them, but am still not of them.