FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - We give advice to new companion pass holders
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:12 pm
palmetto86

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, it's been a few years since I had a CP, and I forget if I had this situation before.

I have an upcoming reservation for my wife and I, made a few months back, one-way LAX-MCI. $109 per ticket. Stupidly, I put them in one PNR...I had no intention of obtaining a CP this year, nor was I thinking of any other reason I'd split the PNRs. (So often I'm using points for her and cash for me that we're *usually* on separate PNRs. But not this time.)

Then came the 3/31 news, so I pulled the trigger on one last CP. The problem is that I cannot figure out any way to either cancel just her segment or somehow change just hers to either a Companion seat or to some future flight that I can cancel after we fly this itin. I can change the whole itin or cancel the whole itin - but I can't split us apart.

The one-way segment is now $197 per person, so canceling the whole thing doesn't really buy me anything.

Is there some trick, or am I just SOL on this one? Not a huge deal either way, but if I had the $109 back she'd quickly burn it on her next solo trip somewhere... Figure I might as well try!
Yes you can fix. No, not a trick. Can't cancel one pax and not the other's online; you must call. Once they make a change, you can't do anything online either. You might as well have them add your companion while you're on the phone.