FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NZ1/2 with tightening of US border
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:48 pm
Top of climb

Originally Posted by Aqua_3380
I gather it is being reported incorrectly. The change is for people with an existing visa (i.e. from countries that are not subject to a visa waiver). Such visas can no longer be renewed without an interview at the consulate.
For people who are eligible for a visa waiver, no changes. Or at least I hope that's what's happening.
Correct (somewhat): the Visa Interview Waiver Programme is NOT the same as the Visa Waiver Programme. The Visa Interview Waiver Programme is for people who are (re)applying for non-immigrant visas to the US and basically exempts those who qualify under the published criteria from needing to present for an interview (which would otherwise be required). Admission to the US under the Visa Waiver Programme (which would most NZ travellers going on holiday to the US) does NOT require applying for a non-immigrant visa (hence "visa waiver") and so this executive order does NOT affect it. The difference being Visa Waiver - i.e. waiver of visa - and Visa Interview Waiver - i.e. waiver of visa interview.

Typical shoddy reporting from someone who didn't bother doing their research properly before shooting off at the mouth...