FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate Status
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:13 am
San Gottardo

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by ranskis
Actually it is not that bad with the Z fares within Europe. It costs around 600 EUR for 4 segments in Z that earn 1875-3000 miles per segment.
So with an average of 2000 qualifying miles on AF per flight at 150 average cost, you reach 360k miles with 180 segments at 150 EUR, so 27000 EUR in 2 years. If they give P service for J (long haul?) flights, then that could be interesting for the regular J flyer.
I ran the maths slightly differently, again comparing to HON.

For HON it takes 600,000 miles on LH/LX/OS metal in First or Business Class. This is the equivalent of
  • Either 47 one-way flights between Zurich and New York in First
  • or 68 one-way flights between Zurich and New York in Business
  • or 240 intra-Europe J class flights

To compare, for Platinum Ultimate, where it takes 360,000 level miles in any class, it takes much less flights in First and slightly less in Business:
  • A mere 22 one-way flights between Paris and New York in P booking class
  • or 33 one-way flights between Paris and New York in F booking class
  • between 57 (booking class J) and 66 (booking class I) one-way flights between Zurich and New York in Business
  • or 192 intra-Europe Business class flights

The typical traveler qualifying for this status would probably have a mix of destinations, but this is a guidance (I use these routes for my own calculation as they are the ones that I fly most frequently, other long haul routes coming and going in waves).

I am sure the first mileage-run calculations will pop up here very soon.

Now let's see if the benefits are worth it.
Exactly.